Sunday, May 22, 2005

Jambalaya!

The New Orleans Jambalaya Run is a success! Our train pulls into New Orleans, Louisiana around 8:50 p.m. CT. According to the announcement, the recommended time to return to the train is around 10 p.m. and the train will leave at 10:30 exactly. I immediately high-tail it to the cab stand and have the driver take me to Mother’s, a classic cafeteria-style restaurant with the best Cajun food money can buy. I can’t decide between a large Jambalaya and a full Shrimp Po' Boy, so I order both. The price for the cab driver – a large man who knows the exact location of Mother's – to wait for me while I go through the line is $20 and an order of bread pudding. It is money well spent. Despite a 20-minute wait for my food, the driver is still outside. And I doubt it is because of the money. After a quick stop at the local mini mart for some beer, I make it back to the station at 9:45 p.m., well within the time limit. That’s it until tomorrow. It's time to eat, drink and sleep.

No comments: